Do you enjoy practicing in an ambulatory care or community pharmacy environment? Are you interested in a residency or furthering your clinical training? Join us on November 15 at 7 PM CST (8 PM EST; 5 PM PST) to learn more about the UI PGY1 Community-based Pharmacy Residency Program:
• Wednesday, November 15 7:00-8:00 PM CST via Zoom
o Meeting ID: 980 8276 6413 Passcode: 631575
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
• The UI College of Pharmacy boasts the longest continually-accredited PGY1 Community-based Pharmacy Residency Program. This program has five unique practice sites and candidates can select sites that best fit their interests.
• Community Pharmacy Residents spend 2/3 of their time provide patient care services in the community pharmacy or other ambulatory care settings, such as community health centers and free medical clinics.
• Community-based sites are members of CPESN-IA and CPESN-USA, a clinically integrated network of community pharmacies, and provide clinical medication synchronization, adherence packaging, immunizations, comprehensive medication reviews with chronic care management, medication reconciliation, enhanced MTM and other patient care programs.
• Pharmacy sites, preceptors, & faculty have participated in the National Flip the Pharmacy Project (https://www.flipthepharmacy.com/) to transform Community Pharmacy Practice in Iowa and beyond.
• Residents participate in the Pharmacy Educator Preparation Program for Residents (PEPPR) to learn teaching philosophy and techniques and can apply those skills in educating Doctor of Pharmacy students, other health care providers, and patients.
• Residents complete a practice-based research project with the guidance of UI College of Pharmacy Health Service Research Faculty and participate in a peer review writing group with other community residents.
• Preceptors in the Community Pharmacy Residency Program are recognized as leaders in the profession of pharmacy both on a state and national level. Many are highly decorated for their dedication to and innovation in community pharmacy practice.
• Residency program graduates have gone onto clinical practice in community, clinic, and other settings, PGY2 Ambulatory Care positions, academia, ownership and other unique opportunities.
COMMUNITY PHARMACY RESIDENCY SITES
HyVee Pharmacy, Iowa City
Hy-Vee Pharmacy is committed to providing comprehensive health and wellness services to its customers. Hy-Vee, Inc. has over 270 pharmacy sites many with their own unique specialties. The pharmacy provides patient education and services that include medication therapy management, hypertension screenings, comprehensive diabetes care, and immunization services. HyVee Pharmacy coordinates and performs wellness screenings and smoking cessation classes for employees. The pharmacy provides access to nutritional counseling that is delivered by Hy-Vee registered dietitians. Residents have an opportunity to rotate through additional educational experiences that include corporate management, compounding services, and specialty pharmacy. An area of resident focus is to establish and implement disease management services in the community.
Greenwood Pharmacy, Waterloo
Greenwood Pharmacy strives to make a personal connection with their patients and has helped thousands of people lead healthier, better lives. Located in Waterloo, Iowa, Greenwood Pharmacy has been serving the surrounding community since 1987. In 2023, Greenwood Pharmacy has served over 8,000 patients. The pharmacy’s extensive variety of patient care services allows them to meet the individual needs of their customers. Pharmacy services include compliance packaging, home delivery, medication synchronization, immunizations, durable medical equipment, MTM services, transitions of care services, and compounding. Other services that the pharmacy provides are point-of-care testing, pharmacogenomic testing and health screenings. Pharmacists at Greenwood work closely with area providers and health-systems to provide optimal patient care, including collaborative practice agreements. Greenwood Pharmacy is a luminary member of CPESN Iowa and pharmacists at the site are involved in local, regional, and national community & pharmacy associations. Greenwood Pharmacy is always striving to expand our innovative patient care services and technology.
MercyOne Pharmacy, Dubuque
MercyOne Pharmacy proudly serves the city of Dubuque and surrounding area with five community pharmacy sites, and one long-term care pharmacy. MercyOne Pharmacy is part of MercyOne Dubuque Medical Center and partners with community physician clinics to provide outstanding direct patient care. Patient care services include medication therapy management, chronic disease-state management, heart failure program patient consultations, transitions of care coordination, inpatient psychiatric services, interdisciplinary diabetes program, inpatient rehab, immunizations, morbidity and mortality meeting participation, hospice, and nursing home and group home experiences. Pharmacists work collaboratively with health-system pharmacists and other healthcare professionals and participate in multidisciplinary care teams. Other pharmacy services include medication synchronization, compliance packaging, compounding, and home delivery. Additional benefits include working with a staff that continues to advance the profession through involvement in the community, college, local, state, and national pharmacy associations.
Osterhaus Pharmacy, Maquoketa
Osterhaus Pharmacy is a family-owned community pharmacy committed to high quality personalized patient care, established in 1965, operating in a facility adjacent to a family practice clinic in Maquoketa. Approximately 20,000 patient lives are impacted by pharmacy services including ambulatory, long-term care, and hospice patients. The professional staff specializes in the provision of medication therapy management to patients with asthma, diabetes, hypertension, depression, hyperlipidemia and others. Furthermore, the staff is involved in political, organizational, and regulatory venues within pharmacy at the state, local and national level. The pharmacy is in the CPESN Iowa network and is a graduate site of the Flip the Pharmacy program. The site performs point-of-care testing, Medicare Part D reviews, and administers all adult immunizations. In addition to pharmaceutical care, the practice provides ongoing monitoring through detailed documentation, drug information, durable medical equipment, and home medical-respiratory services (CPAP/BiPAP). Osterhaus has been part of the residency program since its inception.
Towncrest Pharmacy, Iowa City
Towncrest Pharmacy has been serving Iowa City and its surrounding areas since 1963. This independently owned pharmacy is located less than 10 minutes from The University of Iowa campus. The pharmacists and staff of Towncrest Pharmacy are recognized for their high-quality, personalized patient care and innovative clinical services. With this reputation, Towncrest Pharmacy has built long standing working relationships with other providers, businesses, and organizations in the community. Through the development of a clinical documentation program as well as the utilization of two Parata Max robots, Towncrest is able to provide highly innovative clinical services to our patients. Current patient care services include Continuous Medication Management programs, immunizations, MTM services, health screenings and risk management services, disease state management and education, medication adherence programs and compliance packaging, Durable Medical Equipment consultations, nursing home consultations and compounding (PCAB accredited). The Towncrest Pharmacy Family also includes Towncrest Wellness Apothecary in Iowa City, Towncrest Pharmacy in Solon, Bennett Pharmacy in New Hampton, and three Cornerstone Apothecary locations in Belle Plaine, Marengo, and Van Horne.
Check out our website for more information.
Stevie Veach, PharmD, BCACP
Director, PGY1 Community-based Pharmacy Residency Program
Clinical Associate Professor
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Science
The University of Iowa | College of Pharmacy
180 South Grand Ave | 330A College of Pharmacy Building
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1112