The Sr. Academic Advisor position is open on the Student Affairs Team.
Read more: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/126402
Advises a diverse population of students in regards to their academic planning and progress by utilizing professional advising and guidance skills. Interprets and explains university academic policy and procedure to assist students in making decisions concerning personal educational goals leading to graduation.
1. Meets with students to provide information and guidance on academic-related issues, such as graduation requirements, exceptions, major exploration, course planning and registration, transfer credit evaluation/substitution or advanced degr requirements.
2. Facilitates students’ academic progress by evaluating their needs and developing appropriate educational plans. Makes recommendations to students who need assistance with overcoming learning obstacles, specialized tutoring, extended or intensive assistance decisions or similar needs.
3. Develops and presents education programs designed to supplement or enhance academic preparedness.
4. Collects and disseminates information to students, faculty and departments about changes in major requirements or Uni policies and adjusts advising strategies as appropriate.
5. Coordinates and/or participates in the advising-related portion of new/transfer student and orientation sessions.
6. Maintains students’ academic files that include a record of the advising activity that takes place during each visit.
7. Serves on University committees and makes recommendations that affect curriculum
requirements, advising processes an development and published materials.
8. Coordinates data compilation, statistical reports and correspondence, depending upon the area of assignment.
9. May plan and participate in continuing education for advising staff.
10. May supervise lower level advising staff and/or student employees and participate in
hiring, training and evaluating those employees. May oversee the preparation of funding
proposals, reports and training materials related to special programs.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.Published in