The pharmacy student (intern) assists pharmacists to provide pharmacy services including the evaluation and input of licensed independent practitioner orders/prescriptions, and the technical functions of drug procurement, preparation, and distribution. These and all other duties are completed under the supervision of a pharmacist. Expectation: Become proficient in pharmacy technical functions and the basic pharmacology and utilization of medications.
Essential Job Duties
• Provides excellent service to patients, pharmacists, interns, technicians, and other healthcare professionals in the areas of responsibility.
• Communicates effectively with all staff regarding responsibilities and identified concerns.
• Provides patient education/counseling under the direct supervision of the pharmacist on staff as training and mentoring permits.
• Is training to become competent and effective in technical responsibilities assigned, and seeks appropriate training and peer feedback on routine responsibilities.
• Understands and is compliant to all state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures, and guidelines related to their specific area of practice.
• Participates and supports the fiscal responsibilities of the department, facility, and Intermountain Healthcare as a whole.
• Provides delivery of medications, information and/or service in a professional, timely manner and is actively engaged in department and team goals, activities, and projects.
• Consistently attains appropriate supervision and accuracy checks by the pharmacist(s) on staff when working, understanding that the pharmacist is the supervisor of their activities.
• Participates in quality improvement activities, and constantly seeks a team approach to developing and achieving best practices and processes.
• Benefits Eligible: No
• Shift Details: 8 hours a week to work every other weekend, for morning hours.
• Department: Inpatient pharmacy at Utah Valley Hospital
• Additional Details: This intern position will support weekend medication delivery for the inpatient pharmacy. There are 4 positions available.
• Current state Pharmacy Intern license.
• Must be accepted/enrolled in an accredited College of Pharmacy.
• Carrying, hearing/listening, lifting, manual dexterity, pulling/pushing, seeing.
• Prior Pharmacy Technician hospital experience.
• 1st year or 2nd year Pharmacy student.
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills.Published in